October 14, 2010
In our on-going series on creating a productive office environment, today we discuss noise. Since excessive noise may increase staff stress and fatigue, consider these items when creating your office space:
- Reduce general noise with floor carpeting and by locating office areas away from sources of external noise.
- Be aware of hard surfaces such as glass walls or white boards as they act to increase the reflection of noise.
- Consider sound absorbing barriers to reduce the noise from telephone or other conversations in open plan offices.
- Consider instituting “low noise rules”.
- Consider the location, patterns and vicinity of office machines to staff .
A little advance planning will make for a more productive and pleasant office environment.
The Office Farmer